Sunday, June 26, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 84

1. Bought another teacher her favorite hot chocolate mix
                So one of my closest teacher friend loves hot chocolate. I know exactly how she likes it - 2/3 hot chocolate & 1/3 milk. Why is it when it turns October the mornings instantly start getting cooler? Anyway, this is the last day within the first grading marking period and I wanted to do something nice for this teacher. So hot chocolate it is - anytime that she wants it now on cool mornings.

2. Gave another teacher some requested supplies
             So another teacher sent out an all staff email asking for any spare tag board to borrow for a class project. I had some extra pieces within my room from a previous activity with my own classes. They were her's now. Simple.

3. Wrote a thank you note to a custodian who found me batteries
              Just when I had my DVD player set and ready to show my class something really cool - the remote refused to work. I normally keep extra batteries in my classroom for such an occasion, but whenever I hear of someone else needing something - I normally give it to them. This time I needed some and a custodian overheard me. Before I started to scavenger through my supply closet for the third time the custodian was there with a smile and some batteries. She made my day and saved my class. I didn't know that they wore capes in their spare time!

4. Wrote a thank you note to an administrator for playing an activity with my students
            Sometimes when my students finish their work for a particular unit they earn free time activity. Today was such a day since it was also the end of the grading marking period as well. So the students decided to play, Rock Band, as an administrator was doing a walk through my department. When he saw how much fun my students were having with this gaming system, he started to ask them questions. Before long the students had him hooked up to a guitar controller and he was doing his best to play along. The students were coaching him along in what to do. It was a classic moment! Doing little things like this leave such an impression with the students - when you get on their level. I had to say thank you.

5. Helped a little boy pick up spilled DVD's on the floor at the store.
           So I had to get some odds and ends from a store after school today. As I was walking in, I noticed a little boy looking at the DVD rack. Startled when he heard his own name being called by his parents, he accidentally knocked over a stack of DVD's. As they went scattering on the floor he just hung his head like, "Great - now I'm going to get yelled at for this too." I easily bent down and started to pick up the DVD's with him. Before long, we had everything picked up and he was on his way. However, he paused for a second turned to me to smile and wave - there was no need for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment