Thursday, June 16, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 49

1. Bought and gave biodegradable pens for a Science Teacher
         So there is this fascinating science teacher at my school that creates marvelous projects with the 6th grade students. She is also wonderful pianist accompanist - a skill that is so desperately needed when it comes to a musician. Anyway, she is also in charge the Eco club. Now grant it - I am not one of these free living people that will only use 1 square for the bathroom visit - sorry Cheryl Crow (however, I love your music). But, I do try to recycle and reuse when and what I can. I am certainly not the best at this skill, but I am trying to do my part in helping. As you know, I do collect trash while I am on my daily walks with my dog and/or son. However, I do have a strong respect for those that can live in a cleaner Earth friendly lifestyle - something that I find both admirable and one day achievable. Anyway, teachers always need pens and I when I saw this at the store the other day - I instantly thought of her. Just something nice since she gives so much of her time to her students and the environment.

2.  Bought and gave custodians a bag of chocolate chip cookies
         They have been working extremely hard in keeping the school really clean lately with the start of the school year and all of the visitors for the various back to school nights. I love to make desserts. I can do limited grilling, can't cook a turkey, ham is just repulsive, don't trust chicken. However, when it comes to chocolate fun - this is my domain. My grandfather was a jack of all trades - literally living up to his name 'Jack.' Anyway after his years of service with the Navy, he opened up a candy shop with all of these homemade recipes. Some were from Ireland (home country), while others he collected from living in the states. Anytime I make a desert I always feel like I am calling on his presence to help guide me in the kitchen. Anyway, the chocolate chip cookies were for the custodians - homemade edibles are the best way to show appreciation.

3. Cleaned up tables after a student ice cream social activity
              So we have this annual ice cream social activity for any student that is new to the building for grades 6-8th, that also couldn't attend the fun party the day before school started. It is a way to link these new students to one of our student mentor leaders - so that they feel they have someone instantly to talk to. Since I am a clean freak - yes I said it and ready to make a shirt with the statement - I offered to clean up the tables once the students were done and moving onto the paperwork/game activities. I think that some of my happiest moments in life is was a rag and a bottle of cleaner. Except for my son - but he was kind of duty at first.

4. Gave flowers to the Secretary to celebrate her birthday
             Seriously, who doesn't want flowers on your birthday - ok, maybe guys don't want this - but fellas listen up - WE WOMEN DO! And we don't want to guilt you into doing this - it just takes the fun out of the surprise.

5. Gave flowers to the Administrators to celebrate the "First Full Week of School."
            All three of them looked drained. They just seemed to need a pick me up. I know that one of them is really athletic, so any candy food stuff is probably out of the question. The other two are trying to be more healthy in exercising more and watching their diets. Again, food is out of the question. So I maybe food isn't the best way to show appreciation - maybe you can add flowers to that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment