Friday, June 17, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 55

1. Bought Breast Cancer pencils in another teacher's mailbox
             So in an earlier posting, I discussed how I bought my mother a pack of these special pencils. Well, I actually bought 2 packs - there was a deal - 2 for 1. I didn't want to keep them because they were too special and would use them. Yes, I have a whole drawer of pencils that I can't bring myself to using because they are special - given to me by kids, by other teachers, in honor of certain events, etc. Yes, I know what you are thinking - it is a pencil it is meant to be used. But to me, different knick knacks and artifacts - I just can bring myself to using, because once it is used - then what memory do I have of it. I'm going to be a senile old woman one day. Anyway, this particular teacher does the Breast Walk every year in her area (which is different from where she teaches). I have always admired her of this annual community service.

2. Cleaned up the coffee pot after everyone was finished
              No I really cleaned up this contraption. I noticed that it wasn't brewing as quickly as normal and it could use a really good cleaning. I hope that this helps.

3. Helped another student finish his history assignment
          So during my planning time today I was welcomed with a visit of one of my favorite students. He is a unique kid that loves music - something we share. I am always burning him disks of various music and he is always challenging me to listen to knew sub-genres. Well, as music as he likes music, he does not like to do 'regular academic work.' He believes that he can't because he doesn't have the memory that is required. I believe that he can, but he lacks the self confidence and drive. So my plan is to periodically help him with his regular work, gain his trust, and start to build his confidence. He will be going to high school next year - so I have only this year to achieve this goal. We shall see.

4. Gave students extra treats for doing an extra music ensemble work
        I have a regular school band - and then sometimes I have kids that come to me wanting to create an extra after school ensemble. I am a sucker when it comes to this because even though I have my own work to do, if these kids want to put in some extra time - then I find the time for them. Anyway, I needed some musicians to help in providing some background music for me at a last minute event. It was easy to talk some of my students into it because they are so eager to please. The treats - well that is just a simple way to say thank you. Some people consider this a bribe - but really, I can't pay these students money like regular musicians get for doing a gig - so it is food/candy.

5. Bought special treats for my son's preschool class
           Both him and I really love his teachers at his preschool. They do a fabulous job in working with him and rarely ask for any help in supplies. Being a teacher myself, I am always welcoming parent participation. However, I can't always provide in person volunteer because of my regular job - so it is my goal these next several months is to provide his class with special treats and supplies. Just to give them an extra educational opportunity because the teachers do so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment