Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 39

1. Let another car go before me while driving to work
               Have you ever sat at a stop waiting, and waiting, and mumbling to yourself - "Man, I wish that someone would let me out." So the next time you are in this position reflect upon the proper answer - the next I will leave someone out.

2. Put a pack of frog stickers in a teacher's mailbox
             Yes, I know that this 'penny' sounds odd and strange at the very least. However, this particular teacher LOVES frogs. She has the stuffed green creatures all over her classroom. The figurines are strategically placed within various nooks and crannies. The walls are decorated with different cutouts - I swears that they start hopping around when no one is present. I really respect this teacher because she has an extremely difficult job because she mainly works with special needs students - a job that many 'average' teachers just burn out only after a few years. I work with her students in a special music class that meets every other day for around 40 min. - and as much as I enjoy working with these kids - I'm done when they leave - both mentally and physically. So here she is working with them all day - all respect and glory goes to her.

3. Thanked another teacher based on putting together various student badges
              So the day before school starts for students, there is a group of us teachers that host a fun party to introduce the new 6th graders into the building. Prior to, we train the group of 8th graders to become leaders and mentors; and at this party they are the ones that mainly run the show - we teachers are there basically to supervise, make sure that everything runs smoothly, and put back together any pieces that may fall apart. One thing that we have forgotten in the past few years is student badges - well, not necessarily - we remember them at the last minute and it normally looks like a name is scribbled onto a piece of sticky paper. Well this year another teacher was thinking ahead and really made nice student badges that were decorated with our school's insignia and the names were legible - I was really appreciative that they took the time and the initiative to do this extra thing. Sometimes it is the small thing that counts.

4. Congratulated & thanked another teacher for all of his hard work in putting together the transition program
              So the woman that normally puts together the transition program was the same one who recently received a job promotion. And although she was at our school to help with the transition program, another teacher stepped up and really ran the show. It was basically his first time in running it completely and you could tell that he was a little nervous - but once he got into the swing of things, he did a fantastic job. He earned and deserved the compliment.

5. Gave my lunch to someone else who was more hungry
             So as we were finishing up this transition program, most of us teachers who were involved did not get a chance to have a regular lunch break. The one teacher that I know a lot of personal information about, really does need to have a regular lunch break because of certain medicines that she is on due to particular health situations. But being so involved in today's program, she accidentally forgot her lunch. So I didn't want to see her crash or get really sick and not be of healthy mind for the first day of school. I gave her my lunch - it was simple to do & she was grateful. Besides I keep plenty of snacks in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment