Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 40

1st Official Day of school!!!

1. Gave favorite candy to the school secretary
              Well, this one was easy because anything based around chocolate is her favorite. I mainly did this to show appreciation because I know that she was swamped due to the first day of school opening. Just to show that I cared.

Note: Remember, take good care of your secretaries, custodians, cafeteria staff, & administration - they will take good care of you.

2. Helped get extra materials for other teachers during homeroom
                Fortunately, I do not have a homeroom period. So during this time I walked through the building making sure that the teachers that do have everything that they need; ie. calendars, correct attendance folders, locks, etc. This also gave me the opportunity to say good morning to several of the students/teachers and wish everyone good luck for the school year. When I was in high school, the Vice Principal took the first 30 minutes of everyday to go around and check on every teacher and class - just to say good morning. It was a brilliant move on his part and I really admire him for it because it showed caring and compassion - just briefly, but still a little moment that was nice.

By the way - this Vice Principal is currently a supervisor at the Board of Education with our county. I'm pretty sure that he does the same thing still but with the other office and supervisor members.

3. Gave a special snack to two other teachers
           As I was doing my 'check ins' two other teachers mentioned that they were hungry because they left for school without eating anything for breakfast - were in a rush to beat the rush. Me having plenty of snacks like granola bars in my classroom knew that this request was simple to fix. Again, the little things.

4. Complimented a teacher on her dress
          One of the best things about the beginning of the school year is how everyone always take the time to look nice, at least for the first day. Well this particular teacher always looks really nice because she knows how to shop for clothes that accentuates her best qualities. But this particular dress, well - she looked beyond beautiful, breathless even.

5. Gave extra money to help purchase flowers for a teacher that is out due to a recent surgery
           I really don't know much about this particular teacher except that she helps with reading. But I do know that when it comes to flowers and getting well from a surgery - anything extra nice will help the soul to heal quicker. I look forward to learning more about this particular teacher for when she is able to return to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment