Saturday, June 4, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 2

So my 4 year old son looked at me and said on the way to church:

"My feet are killing me!"

So I decided that today I would focus on sitting and providing a place of rest and comfort for others.
I love themed days.

1. Got the technology church person a cushy seat for outside worship service.
               So I sing and occasional play some instruments in the church praise band. We have this really wonderful technology guy that hooks all of the sound equipment stuff up when we play outside. He also hooks all of the techie stuff up when we play inside for the various styles of worship. He rarely gets thanked and often feels like he is being used and forgotten - until there is a problem. I think that we all feel this way sometimes and it is the opportunity for others to provide comfort. So I took this opportunity and got him a nice chair to sit upon.

2. Gave up my seat for another child to sit.
             Since we play outside and the church is located downtown in my city of Hagerstown - yes, it is about 30 minutes west of Frederick, which is about another 45 minutes west of D.C. in Maryland. Anyway, the church is located downtown and in the summer time we play outside services on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. Often it attracts other people that are just meandering the streets - especially since there is a big beautiful library across the street. This child of about 10 heard us playing and wanted to see what was going on. So I gave him my seat.

3. Talked to another youth that is often friendless.
                 One of the youths that I like to look after in the church is her ownself. Her diagnosis of her mental state and learning state is undetermined, but the other kids know that she is different. She is often impulsive and over reactive; but there is a beautiful quality to her sometimes. So she was starting to make a yarn quilt for her social worker - it was the opportunity to sit and learn another story from her.

4. Got a seat with arm handles for an elderly gentleman.
              It is our duty to help all in need and whatever that need may be - young & old. This particular gentleman needed a special seat to have arm handles to lift him up and down. Mission accomplish.

5. Cleaned toilet seats in different stalls.
              So anyone that knows me, knows that I despise the bathroom - unless it is my own. Why people flock in groups to this location boggles me - I call this pee parties. And when a student wants to skip class, where do they go - the bathroom! Why? Do people realize what actual happens in a bathroom. You expel waste there. Why hang out in a place that you expel waste? Sorry, this is my OCD talking.
               Anyway, I thought that it would be nice to clean each of the toilet seats - yes, I see the actual humor in this - somewhere to sit. I never knew how beneficial my OCD can be in providing a better life for someone else. Needless to say, I scrubbed my hands several times after cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment