Friday, June 17, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 53

1. Bought a scarecrow decoration for another staff member
               So the one secretary loves to decorate her area for the various seasons. Since September is only 1 day away, I wanted her to be ready for the change. Fall is a nice time in this area because the trees on the mountainside always turn various shades - it paints a beautiful back drop while driving to work every Autumn morning.

2. Washed coffee cups for others
              We must have had some visitors lately because the sink was filled with extra coffee cups. No problem, as I washed mine - I took care of everyone elses.

3. Took back student's tray while she practiced her flute
                Again I gave up my lunch time to work with her. She really wants to get into this special school. So any extra moments that I can provide to her for working on her music, I will. Even if it is an extra 2 minutes while I take back her lunch tray.

4. Thanked another teacher with a note for letting me borrow his DVD's
              There's another music teacher that absolutely loves Jazz music of different kinds and artists. This is one of the areas that I teach with some of my general music students. I was so appreciative that he would share his personal resources with me and my students.

5. Try to be extremely friendly to a new student
             This particular student is an amazing kid. She has this smile and giggle that is unlike anyone else. Well, as I saw her walk down the hallway to my class for the first time, I knew that I had to make an extra effort to get to know her. Her body language said everything: "Leave me alone." But I knew that if I said hello and found something to compliment her on - instantly she would drop that guard. So once I said hello - she had this big smile that I will always remember.

Note: Say good morning and/or hello to people - and mean it! It will change their body language and their outlook for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment