Thursday, June 23, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 73

1. Bought a college sports team lanyard in an Administrators mailbox
               I really respect all Administrators - they have a tough job because they deal with a lot of problems that we as teachers often don't see and don't know about. This particular Administrator mainly focuses on discipline at school. However, at home apparently he is a very loving father to two children. One of his favorite things is to take his son to Maryland University to watch soccer games together. So although he didn't graduate from Maryland University, he has a special place in his heart for the "Fighting Terrapins." I don't know which I respect more from this particular person - that he really tries to work with the needed discipline youth at school or that he loves his children and plans special events with them.

2. Went and did some extra research for another teacher so that he was better prepared for a meeting
             Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you are never fully prepared for a meeting. I find this frustrating because I like being prepared and I must admit that I am a perfectionist. I see not being prepared as my 'Achilles Heel' or my 'Kryptonite' in my strive to be super-____________ (fill in the blank with teacher, woman, mother, person, etc.). However, as much as I don't like asking for help - I know that there are times that I must. That is the perfect opportunity for someone else to step in and help. Simple.

3. Wrote a "Thank You" note to those teachers that proofread and suggested improvements to a grant that I was writing
               This grant is a special one because it really isn't to earn money to buy materials for my classroom. The money will be used to fund a community service project that I am putting together for my 8th grade students to complete. Basically, the money will help buy food to put together book-bags that give free meals to various elementary students throughout the county that I live in. This is an amazing organization and I would really like to have my students be a part of. Students helping students - such a wonderful thing!

4. Picked up trash while giving my son & dog an afternoon walk
            Easy peasy lemon squeezy - as my son would say.

5. Moved neighbor's trash cans
             So they weren't home yet and they were blocking the sidewalk for other to use. I just simply wheeled them up by their side door - the place that I have noticed where they keep them. The neighborhood kids were then able to ride their bikes without going off the path and into traffic. Safer for everyone.

6. Bought son's preschool class apples as a special treat
            Since it is September and "Johnny Appleseed" month, his class was talking about apples. How they grow, different cooking recipes, painting with them, anything and everything with this wonderful fruit. I just wanted to help the teacher by buying an extra bag for her to use in class in whatever project they were working on throughout the week.

*Note-
Somedays I found it really hard to complete the task of 5 pennies. Either different opportunities didn't appear or I wasn't paying close enough attention. Then there were other days that pennies came as easy and dimes & quarters. So being the over achiever that I am, I am going to start including the extra pennies that I completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment