Friday, June 24, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 77

1. Bought another teacher a 'wacky' pin
                So there is this really crazy teacher at my school. She is the most beloved one there by all of the other staff members, students, and families. Her outfits are legendary and everyone waits for a special holiday just to see what she will look like. Her socks, earings, clothes, everything never matches. She doesn't care at all. I admire her for this trait. But beyond her appearance, she is a really gifted teacher. By the look of her room you wouldn't expect her to be the one that is in charge of helping others be organized. But honestly - if you ask her for something, she knows exactly where it is. She is so sweet nature and I have never heard her raise her voice in the past 10 years that I have worked with her. However, she commands the respect of all the kids and like I said, she is very much loved by all. When I saw the pin - I only knew one person that could pull it off.

2. Gave another teacher her favorite yogurt
               So the other day I was eating yogurt beside another teacher who was eating yogurt as well. We both had our favorite flavors; mine - strawberry and her's peach. So when I went to the grocery store the other day to pick some up, they had a sale and I picked up an extra peach. These nice little gifts are wonderful to get - but even more wonderful to give.

3. Sent an email sincerely thanking those staff members that helped with student reward activity
                  Today was a special day for the students - Popcorn Friday. So we run a positive behavior program in my school that rewards the students when they are doing good or that they have improved. This theory is to help increase a positive climate. So today the students had the opportunity to 'purchase' popcorn during lunch. This popcorn was bought, made, bagged, and sold by various members of the staff. Everyone worked together to pull this off, including the clean-up crew. I just needed to sincerely say thank you.

4. Helped students clean up cafeteria after popcorn activity
               So I had lunch duty and I was partly in charge of the popcorn - so it was befitting to also help in the clean up. I gave up my plan period and it was well worth spending it with a small group of students talking to them how respect and responsibility is shown in many ways. Well, they mainly talked to me and I just listened as we both did our chores of cleaning.

5. Returned a swing cushion to a neighbor after it blew away into another yard
             I grew up in a medium size house in a nearby town from where I work. The best thing about this house was the porch swing. I remember many times that all I did on a summer's day was just lay on the porch swing playing barbies, reading, listening to music, just staring at my flowers. Even to this day I long for this porch swing again. So when the neighbor's materials blew away and I had the opportunity to return it - I took my memories along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment