Sunday, June 19, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 60

1. Bought a movie poster for another teacher to use in his classroom
             So, there is great Language Arts teacher in my building that collects various movie posters for his classroom. Well just any movie posters, but any that his students are reading. This is such a great idea of merging popular culture with his content. His students are really receptive because it gives them a common ground for communication and relationship building. I know that it is simpliment a piece of paper with a picture on it, but it is how he is using the tool to capture the attention that I find as fantastic. By the way, the poster is of the new "Whimpy Kid Diaries."

2. Advised another parent about what she can do in regards to a bullying situation with her son and his school
           So I was at the doctors this morning for a check up and she noticed that I was a teacher. Before long she was telling me about this situation with her son at school and how upset both him and her felt. I told her about the various programs that her son's school may offer and gave her the names of particular administrators to talk to (the one Assistant Principal used to work at my school). Advised her on the right questions to ask in order to help her son and feel better about the situation. The odd thing was that even though I was there for her services, it seemed like she needed mine more.

3. Handed silverware to another person while putting together my own lunch
              I noticed that this other person completely forgot their fork and napkin. It was just a simple thing to do because the materials that they needed were right in front of me. Again, simplicity.

4. Helped pick up books for another student
             So I was always one of the kids that carrying about 5 extra books than what I needed to for any given class while I was in middle school. At any time my arms became spastic and the books went everywhere. Now when I see kids that have the same mannerism, I always think about how I wanted someone else to help me during this time of awkwardness. So, it has become something that I often do in the hallway during class changing time. The nice thing is that when a student sees this, they often start helping to, and then another helps, and another - then you get this wonderful ripple effect.

5. Got someone some extra napkins because they accidentally made a mess while eating a snack
           There are some kids that desperately need to an extra snack in my classroom by the end of the day. I dont' know if it is because of they eat lunch too early, don't eat enough, or low blood sugar, or any other reason - but I always keep extra snacks in my room for these students. For many, it does help with behavior and focusing - which makes my teaching life better. However, for this particular student and for this day - the snack idea became a messy situation. Nothing that a couple of extra napkins couldn't fix though.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment