Saturday, June 11, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 31

1. Sterilize the door handle & light switches at the pediatricians examine room.
               Yes, OCD has kicked in early. I know that the doctors use hand sanitizer before examining the patient, but sometimes we forgot to clean door knobs and light switches - areas that germs like to hang out - as if it is their favorite watering hole. I just wanted things to be clean for the doctor, nurses, and future patients.

2. Wiped and sterilize the doctor's exam chair.
             So one day at church I was cleaning the tables that we use during gathering meals. I noticed that one chair really badly needed a good scrub - which, then led me to another chair. About 2 hours later I had the all of the chairs cleaned, but some really gross water and cleaning rags that I even changed a couple of times during the process. I figured that since I was cleaning the door knobs & light switches, this would be easy to add to my cleaning list too.

3. Sent previous students an e-card which them good luck at school
               So a few years back I had these two brothers that were amazing musicians. My future professional musician and my future music teacher. One was probably the best trombone player that I have ever had in my teaching career. The other was a fabulous kid that wasn't exactly phenomenal on a particular instrument - but could pick up anything and learn how to play it within days. These were my boys and I took a lot of pride in knowing that I started them. Prior to them moving, I would joke with them that when they become rich and famous - they would spot me some money to buy a cup of coffee - I figured that at the very least, they owed me that. But seriously, I'm so proud of them both. So the one is a senior this year and is seriously debating what music college to attend for next year. The other is entering 8th grade and is debating what next instrument to learn and play this year. Since they moved away, they start much earlier then when my students do in where I live. I just wanted to wish them luck.

By the way- My senior student graduated and is determining to go to either 2 State Universities, which both are throwing massive money to encourage him. My 8th grade student got involved in the guitar and a song writing class, which he absolutely loves!

Did I mention that I am proud of them both?

4. Sent an e-card to a friend of a son who has been sick lately
            So there is a woman at church that was very upset and concern over her son's health. I just wanted to share a note of encouragement.

5. Sent a 'get well' card to a terminally ill woman from church
             A few years ago I met this wonderful man at church. I often noticed that he would attend by himself, but would sometimes speak of his wife. I always thought that this was a little odd, but didn't want to intrude on his life and ask why. But one service he brought her and things made sense. This woman survived breast cancer, but the disease really took a toll on her body and mind. Unfortunately, the disease came back in the past couple of months and she just hasn't gotten the strength to fight it again, thus being diagnosed with terminal. She has a beautiful spirit and just wanted to send her a card saying that I was thinking about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment