Wednesday, June 22, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 70

1. Bought decorated push pins for another teacher
           So one of my favorite teachers was talking about how she needed to get some more push pins for bulletin board - needless to say that she is more than a bit OCD like me. In fact we keep joking that we are going to get this shirt that says on the front "CDO" and then on the back it says "because the letters have to be in order." Anyway, she has been working really hard on various projects in regards to a committee at school that we are on together. I just wanted to do something nice for her and so decorative push pins it was.

2. Cleaned tables for lunch assistant
           Again, if I make myself useful during lunch duty time - it makes the shift go by quicker, it helps the elderly woman with her work, and it provides the students in my school a clean place to eat. In a way, I think that it is good for my students to see me clean. It models a sense of respect towards them - I have noticed that if they see me clean, then they start pick up more trash themselves. They are beginning to understand that it is everyone's responsibility to help keep the school clean. It's really a win, win, win situation!

3. Complimented another student based on her shoes
             So I have this 'wild' student that loves colors. She just had to buy and wear these sneakers that glow in the dark because they are florescent green and pink. Personally, I would have never bought these shoes for myself. However, I complimented her because she is so confident in who she is and oddly enough can really pull off these shoes. I think that it is really good - especially adolescent females - to hear compliments. During a time of self-esteem and self-confidence questioning, they need to hear that it is good and applauded for them being different and unique.

4. Gave up my lunch time to privately work with another student
           So I have a beginning band student that needed some extra help on her music because of an up coming playing quiz. I really want to see her do well and so if she is going to give up her time - then I need to give up mine. Besides, I can grab something quick between classes.

5. Wrote a thank you note to another teacher for continuously updating the Homework Hotline for our team
               Homework Hotline is a phone system that we use here at school where the teachers can briefly talk about what the student is expected to do at home or what they missed if they were absent. Just another form of communication to the parents and families. So there is a particular teacher on my team that has always volunteer to put this information on the system. I takes about 5 minutes to complete, but it saves everyone else loads of time. I just wanted to say thank you because it is one of those 'jobs' that often gets overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment