Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 41

1. Put Dr. Seuss stickers in another teachers mailbox
                 Again, yes I know - this may sound strange. But one of the pennies from the other day was me laminating new materials for a teacher. Well, when I dropped off these materials to the teacher I noticed that she really went to town in decorating her room: university posters, futons, lots of bright colors, fringe curtains, etc. All of these colors and textures mixed in my head and I couldn't stay in her room - it was like too many distractions for my brain to comprehend. However, one of the best things that I did notice in her room was a big cardboard cut of "The Cat in the Hat." My son is an emerging fan of Dr. Seuss, so when I was at the store the other day and saw two packs of stickers - instantly I knew that one was going to my son and the other was going to this particular teacher.

2. Sent a "Get Well" card to a church member
               There is this wonderful lady at church who is the nicest person that I have ever met. Most importantly, she is always nice to Sean. I know that I have written a card to her prior to this penny - but still, this particular woman deserves millions of 'pennies.'

3. Made coffee for other teachers and administrators
              I started doing this at the end of last school year - so it has just evolved into being one of my morning personal teacher duties. But I really don't mind because I know that by doing this, I'm taking care of others. In addition, by getting a cup of coffee I will try to become more social in talking to the other teachers and administration - a skill that I lack and need to practice. I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

4. Helped a student who was lost find her way throughout the school
           So the beginning of the school year also includes lost new students. Sometimes these souls randomly walk around until they find their way (nomads); others immediately ask for help (seekers); and then there of the few that are completely lost, continue to walk, and for whatever reason they do not ask for help - these are my sheep. This particular student was lost after finding their locker and kept wondering in where she should go. I just approached her and helped her to get to first period. Although she never said thank you, which is sometimes a rare language from a middle school student, you could tell by her body language that she was thankful for the help.

5. Picked up trash while walking dog
            Yes, I know that I do this a lot. It's a dirty job and someone's gotta do it. And yes, I use a doggie bag to carry the trash until I can throw it away and then immediately scrub my hands when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment