Monday, June 20, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 66

1. Gave flowers to custodian wishing her a good day
             So this particular custodian is extremely smart. She is one of the few people at school that saw me and knew that I was handing out small presents (pennies) to other staff members. Well, not knowing her a lot except that she like coffee and chocolate - I approached her up front and asked her what special treat she would like the most. She simply said: flowers. So for sometime I have been meaning to get her flowers because she has been working so hard with the back to school nights. However, things never worked out. Finally I was able to get her some flowers - but the only reason that I could think of was, "Have a good day!" Simplicity.

2. Got water for presenters at school
               We had special guests at our school today to do a wonderful video presentation about character building. I over heard the one ask the other if they remembered to pack the extra water. From the sound of it, it was a no. I knew where there was some extra water in the building that wasn't being used, so this was an easy request to fulfill - even if they didn't physically asked.

3. Helped Administrative Intern take down bus forms from the hallway
               They have been up for over a month and basically all of the kids know what buses to use. I saw him do this task and automatically started helping - it didn't even register with me what exactly he was doing except for the fact that I was going to help him. We finished the task much quicker than what he would have been able to if he did it by himself.

4. Picked up student paperwork/project that feel down from the wall of another classroom
            As a kid, I always enjoyed seeing my work posted. It's like a unique sense of gratification - your work is good enough to be posted and shown to others as an example. Like invisible golden stars. Anyway, I didn't want these students to feel a twinge of regret in seeing their highest quality work on the substandard floor. It was the very least that I could do.

5. Thanked the presenter for introducing his partner as his "beautiful wife"
             It was such a cute moment. These small gestures of love that are often forgotten after years of marriage and regular life that has consumed every aspect of you and your partner. But even moreso -this presenter publicly said these 'lovelies' outloud and to a room full of teenagers. He did it with such style and grace that was unparalleled to any thing that I have ever seen before. This guy became my  hero for the day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment