Monday, August 1, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 135

1. Made baked goods for the church youth fundraiser
             Yes, me & baking again. I am truly a horrible cook - but I can make/bake things. I had a friend once tell me the difference - which at the time thought it was truly absurd, but now get. Yes, my homemade Buckeyes or Irish Soda Bread may be close to perfection; but, my burnt poptart or macaroni soup is totally a different story. However, the money earned from my brownies, buckeyes, cupcakes, & fudge did give the church youth a good chunk towards their mission trip for the Summer of 2012. Maybe I would do better with cooking if I mixed some meat with my fudge next time - like chocolate chicken fudge strips? Ok, that just sounds gross - gross enough for Dunkin Donuts - hands off! This is my idea!

2. Picked up trash in the grocery store parking lot
              Something simple to do, but is always necessary. If you see trash - pick it up.

3. Helped another customer find art supplies for her son
           Since it is close to Thanksgiving, I am sure that all mothers and teachers are thinking the same thought - "Why are the stores hiding feathers?" This is definitely where the theory of Supply/Demand comes into place. So here we were - two moms trying to find feathers for our sons' art classes. After about 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back - I totally felt like I was playing some sort of reality game show with my new BFF - whom shamefully I never asked her name. Aaaahhh! I struck gold - I found some packets of feathers! They were the small cheap colored kind - nothing even close to what would be worn by traditional American Indians - except for maybe that one dude from the Village People. Anyway, we both shrugged our shoulders and decided that this was the best that we could find. Our 4 year olds and their classmates are just going to have to deal with these rainbow colors. To my astonishment - my son loved them!

4. Bought clothing items for Church's mission project
               So we are starting a new mission project at the church that I go to. It is called "The Mitten Tree" and basically you buy hats, gloves, scarves, etc. to hang on the tree as decorations. All of the items that will be collected will then be given to the local homeless shelter. So this is my new project - and just in time, you can really start to feel chilliness in the air. I'm not one of those that go crazy about Christmas and start to decorate their house the day after Halloween, I normally wait till December 1. I have this rule about holidays, you can't start celebrating them until that month or at least a month ahead of time according to the date. So if you are one of those that normally start decorating after you have stuffed yourself with the last of the turkey and gravy on Thanksgiving Day - that is fine by me. I just prefer December 1. However, knowing that this is a worthy cause I can be flexible with my holiday rule - that's why I do yoga!

5. Gave a church friend a "Thank You" card
               So this church friend is my son's 'Godfather' and is such a nice guy. Yes, he has his moments or quirkiness - but don't we all? Anyway, he helped me copy a DVD of a spring band concert from last year for a parent that just ordered one. The least that I could do is give him a Thank You card - the very least.

Note - We all have talents in this world. Surround yourself with those people that have talents that you don't possess, but make sure that you are appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment