Wednesday, August 3, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 141

1. Bought a neighbor a special holiday treat
             So for the past couple of days I have noticed that a neighbor down the way spending a lot of their free time outside starting to decorate their yard and their house for the up coming Holiday Season. As much as I detest the 'cutesy' lawn ornaments, I do really like how a house can be simply and tastefully decorated with a string of white lights. Sometimes simplicity is best! Anyway, it has been rather cold for this late autumn time - so I really appreciate that they made their house really attractive. Oh, by the way it was a M&M candy cane treat!

2. Wrote a "Thinking of You" card
           This card was for a particular elderly church member that was recently hospitalized after breaking their hip. These types of stories get me every time. Just the thought that they are laying their in bed instead of being in their nice warm & cozy home - I just had to write a "Thinking of You" card - just to cheer them up - or at least myself.

3. Gave local business some toys for their Holiday Toy Drive
               So as I was getting the oil change in my car at the garage shop today, I noticed that there was a box set up for people to donate toys. These toys will be then given to the Salvation Army to distribute throughout the holiday season to local families in need - similar to "Toys for Tots" program. Well, soon I found myself at the store buying some toys with my son to give to this shop/organization. He asked why we were buying extra toys and I was happy to share with him the explanation - mainly focusing on why it is important to help others. But most importantly I really liked sharing this penny with him.

4. Helped another woman carry food into a church service
             Well, actually it was my friend's family memorial service. There were a lot of people that came to say goodbye - which in a way was nice to see how many people this particular person reached and how wonderfully she was loved by others. So as I was entering the church, I noticed this woman that was trying to walk with her cane and carrying in some dessert - while also trying to climb the front stares. It was easy to carry the food for her so that all she had to do was focus on the stairs. FYI - cherry cobbler.

5. Tidy up after a funeral service
               The service, as sad as it was, was really beautiful and heartwarming. I know that the family was so honored in having such a large crowd that attended the service. Afterwards and as everyone was starting to leave, I noticed that there were some tissue packets and service programs still laying in the pews within the worship center. It was easy to help gather these items and put them on the back table for the ushers to take care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment