Sunday, August 28, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 174

1. Wrote an email to a former student wishing them Happy Holidays
              This student and their family was one of my most favorite students during my past ten years of teaching middle school music. It first started with me teaching his brother trombone - which I am now proud to say that he attained a full music scholarship to Arizona University. He is an amazing lad - loves to learn about music and extremely dedicated to his instrument. He is going to be an amazing performer. Then came along his younger brother, who started out on trumpet for me - but soon switched to french horn. He is also truly amazing. He is very good on his instruments, but what impresses me more is that he would often help the other students with ease comfortableness. He can also pick up any instrument and work with it for about 2 weeks and play it like he has been playing the instrument for the past 2 years. He is going to be an amazing teacher. And then there are the parents - who are just so supportive & caring. I really learned a lot from this entire family. Anyway, they moved to Arizona about a year ago and I miss them very much. They were like my extended family. Anyway, I try to send them an email from time to time to check in on how everyone is doing. This email was just to wish them Happy Holidays. Oh - the mother said that she misses the snow in Arizona!

2. Picked up trash while giving dog a walk
           It's cold, it was a short walk, but still I picked up neighborhood trash - to keep everything clean.

3. Cleaned mother's carpet
           Ok, so you know that you are OCD when you ask for a rug cleaner for Christmas & then you take your winter break by volunteering to clean other people's carpet because you enjoy the machine so much - seriously. Her carpets haven't been cleaned for years, so after I finished mine - I did hers too. It was a nice surprise for her when she came home from work.

4. Bought son's preschool class a teaching item
             So I took my son to the local bookstore this afternoon trying to see if they had any good post Christmas deals - boy, did they! I got his class this giant floor puzzle that focuses on the human body, various important muscles, and the roles of important organs. It also had things that flipped up with interesting facts and extra items that Velcro to some of the puzzle pieces. Ok, I admit it we put it together when we got home - it was really cool. He loves puzzles & I hope that him/friends like it.

5. Bought another customer a cookie
             So me & my son were about to leave the book store when I noticed that there was a guy just sitting in the lounge area looking at a magazine. My son must have seen him too because he looked at me and asked if we could buy him a cookie. Neither one of us knew him - so I love the fact that I have my son trained to do these nice gestures for others. I said of course. So I bought 2 cookies - one for my son since he came up with the plan and the other for the unknown customer. Since it was my son's idea - he had the honor of giving the cookie away and wishing the guy a Happy Holiday Season. Afterward, my son was smiling from ear to ear - he gets the feeling of doing something nice and good for someone else. I was very proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment