Saturday, August 20, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 168

Happy Christmas Eve!

1. Made homemade candy for various local workers
             So I made some more buckeyes for the workers at a local convenience store and a 'mom/pa' food shop. These workers are always at work and rarely ever take a day off. The 'mom/pa' shop owner was recently beaten up on his way to work about 3 months ago. He took a day off & that was all - even though he was badly bruised and had a broken arm. He was worried that if he took too much time off, then the local neighbors wouldn't get the groceries that they needed. I just had to give him a bag full of buckeyes. I made another bag full of buckeyes for the workers of a local convenience store because they are working late on Christmas Even night & early on Christmas Day. They deserves a lot of appreciation.

2. Wrote an "In Sympathy" card
            I received a phone call earlier today that one of my former students was in fatal car accident just yesterday. It was a really bad phone call to get because the student was only 15 - died well before his time. Anyway, I just needed to send the family of this student a card in regards to sharing my prayers and letting them know that I enjoyed having him in class. His viewing is sometime next week. Sad, but the card provided me some closure.

3. Made cookies & hot chocolate for the mailman
            So I left a Thermos of hot chocolate & a bag full of chocolate chip cookies by the mailbox today for the mailman. I really respect these type of service people. While I am sitting in my house & spending time with my son on a day off - they are still working. I just wanted to let him know that I care. Also left him a Holiday card wishing him a wonderful holiday season.

4. Gave a woman at church a 'Good Luck' item
            So the woman at church who is in charge of the Children's Choir told me that next month she will be pursuing a Master's degree in Worship Education. I'm so proud of her. Such a great role model to her daughters that continuing education is important. So I got her some motivational pencils to wish her 'Good Luck.'

5. Sent various friends Holiday Cards
                    With the advancement of technology, I know that it would have been easier to send a text, make a phone call, post on a facebook, send an email, or other forms of communication - but I'm old school. I sent cards the old fashion way - through regular mail. Who doesn't like getting mail that isn't a bill or silly magazine - something thoughtful and heartwarming to brighten their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment