Tuesday, August 2, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 139

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

1. Sent an text message to another co-worker wishing them a Happy Birthday
          So November must be a happening birthday month - I know at least 10 people that have their birthday during this time. Anyway, before we left for the break, this particular staff member told me that her family was probably going to forget her birthday because everyone will be celebrating Thanksgiving instead. She said that it was ok, but I could still tell that there was a sense of sadness in her tone. I have had this happen to me a couple of times too because yes, I am an ending November birthday as well. So I just wanted to send her a quick text so that she had someone wishing her a Happy Birthday - that someone remembered.

2. Made a family member her favorite dessert
          Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake - I can't eat this because of the milk and it is too much for me, but I have been told that it is fantastic - so sure & of course I will make this dessert!

3. Checked on an elderly neighbor
          I haven't seen the family members of my next door elderly neighbor yet this afternoon - which worries me some. I just went to go check in on her to make sure that she was ok and that she was taken care of for a Thanksgiving meal. I have plenty of food to share and she is more than welcome to attend!

4. Worked at a homeless shelter soup kitchen
            So in the past I have given a lot of food for the homeless shelter soup kitchen, but I have always wanted to work in one. To meet the clients face to face. To see really how everything works and how everything is distributed. To give back. Fortunately, there was another teacher from school that annual volunteers for this service every Thanksgiving. Prior to this day, I asked her if I could join with her and her church group to help. Gladly she said yes! So we met up prior to the meal starting and I worked the evening with her, her husband, and some people that they knew from their church. It was a really nice experience that I hope to do again next year. Tiring, but extremely rewarding.

5. Sent a "Thank You" text
           After working the homeless shelter soup kitchen I just needed to send a special text to this particular teacher in thanking them. I thanked them for letting me work with them at this church/community function. But more importantly, I thanked them for inspiring me to be a better person both inside and outside of our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment