Sunday, July 10, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 117

1. Gave another traveling teacher a gift card so that he can quickly get lunches on the go
                 So we have a teacher in our school that we also share with 4 other schools - yup, this particular teacher teaches part time at 5 different schools, which makes up to a full time job with a lot of driving about. Anyway, I often see him carrying lunch from a local convenience store that he will quickly consume before he either starts teaching or he starts packing up to drive to his next assignment. I have also often heard him say that he didn't have enough money or time to stop for lunch - which makes me worry some - you really can't go through a day of teaching middle school kids on an empty stomach - you just can't provide your best teaching. Sort of like that kids can't provide their best learning on an empty stomach - the same with teachers. So I recently received a gift card to the same convenience that he normally stops by. I rarely go in, but knew that he could use it more than I - so it was his.

2. Swept up fallen leaves from hallway in front of art room
             I know what you are thinking, why do you have leaves in your building? Is this art room close to the main outside doors. Well, yes it is - but the leaves are from the art teacher's personally tree. It is nice that she brings in her personally items - it really gives her room a 'home' feeling that the kids really enjoy. It's just that like any tree in the fall - the leaves come down. So in order to continue to make things nice for the kids, have the art teacher happy to have a piece of nature/home with her, and to help the custodians - I have officially named myself the "Leaf Whisperer." I never knew that my OCD issues can come in so handy.

3. Told another teacher how nice she looked
             Ever have a stressful moment? Doesn't it help when someone says something genuinely nice to you? It is like the whole perspective of your problem changes. To know that someone cares enough about you to make a positive comment. Try it out.

4. Got another teacher her favorite soda
           So I have started to getting to know my other presentation partners. This particular teacher loves Mt. Dew - me personally, I haven't drank soda in over 15 years and would like to keep it that way - it burns my nose and throat! Anyway, she volunteered to drive to the hotel that we will be staying at for the conference for the next couple of days. I tried to give her gas money, but she refused - so instead I bought her a couple of bottles of her favorite soda as payment. She ended up saying that she liked this payment better. I hope to continue to learn more about and from this particular teacher - I think that she is truly amazing!

5. Picked up items that a waiter accidentally dropped in the restaurant
            It was a cool little Pub type of place. Great sandwiches and fries. I recently told a friend that some people may enjoy a fancy Italian dinner out, but me I'm a Pub type of girl. I believe that it is my Irish streak - even though I don't touch any alcohol either. Wonderful service and extremely clean. So I wanted to keep it this way - just helped out in picking up where things were accidentally forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment