Tuesday, July 5, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 108

1. Gave another teacher comics from the newspaper that were school related
           So this one took a bit of more preparation than the others - please let me explain. There is a fantastic math teacher in our building that is fairly new. Sadly, I don't know much about her - so in an effort to try to find something that she likes or is interested in other than math, I've been observing her. Please understand that there is a big difference between stalking and observing. Stalking is when you watch someone in order to do harm. Observing someone is when you watch them in order to do good. Yes both requires watching, but the motive behind watch determines which action it is. Anyway, I noticed that on a window in her classroom there are these newspaper comics that she (or someone else) cut out. She at least found them interesting enough to keep and post. So that was my 'in'. For the past 3 weeks, I've been checking the news paper every night for any comics that focused on school related topics. I was actually able to collect over 20! So this morning I put the comics in an envelope, marked it with her name & a tag line that said "Enjoy!", and put it in her teacher mailbox. About an hour later I received an from her that she sent to the entire school staff asking why someone put newspaper clippings in her teacher mailbox? I reluctantly sent her back an email saying that I was the culprit and explained that I noticed that she had a collection of school related newspaper comics on her window. Ok, so I know that I didn't pull this one anonymously - but, at least it was the thought that counted.

2. Wrote an "Encouraging" note to another teacher that was worried about a formal observation
             This teacher is one of the best teachers in our building and it really did surprise me to hear that she was so worried. I rarely see her worry about anything! It just goes to show you that as calm, cool, and collected of even the best teachers - they can still worry. The humbling experience gave me a little hope in my neurotic mind. Like, maybe I'm not that completely crazied - other people maybe just the same, but better at hiding it. Maybe?

3. Burned a music cd for a student
          This particular student is really a card. He does have some reading and learning difficulties, but when it comes to music - he is there. I try to work and check up with him whenever I get the chance, to make sure that he is staying a float in all of his classes. Although there have been times that I have gotten frustrated with him, I know that he has a very gentle and unique heart that is much different than most of the other boys in my classes - I can't stay upset with him for long. Currently, he is working on an extra project with rewriting a song and performing it for his youth praise team at church. He is very God driven, which is also an endearing quality. So he asked me for help with getting him some music to use - no problem!

4. Took back a tray to the cafeteria for another student
            My flute student is working so hard and starting to sound so good. I can't wait till she auditions. I know that she is going to sound fabulous!

5. Complimented an Administrator on planning a special student activity for the end of the week.
            I went to a workshop that was titled: "Don't forget the big people too." It focused on not only providing positive treatment to students, but also to the staff members of your school too. This particular administrator has really been working hard on programing a teacher & student football game. I know very little about football, how they are played, and the scoring - so who gets to be the announcer - ME?!? Great! Now I have a homework assignment - to learn as much as I can about football within the next 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment