Monday, July 4, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 105

1. Gave the one Guidance Counselor a magnet of her favorite football team
            So this particular GC is fairly new to our school. She has only been here for one full school year, but she does such a fabulous job with the students. She also serves on a lot of committees that help in programing special events for the students and overall makes our school a better place. Such a great asset to our school environment! Anyway she had to go to a training session the other day, which she said was very good, but also mentally exhausting. Knowing that she also likes the Raven's football team and that she does such a great job in our school, I had to get it for her - to show her my appreciation - even if I did leave it anonymously in her staff mailbox.
By the way - later on in the school day she sent an email out to the entire school in thanking the person who left magnet. I was going to send her a your welcome email - but that would have broken the anonymous side of this school project.

2. Let another staff member borrow my sweatshirt
               Today was "Blue Spirit Day" at school - remember my school color's are blue & white. So this other staff member completely forgot and wore a brown shirt instead. Even though she wasn't getting yelled at by any staff member, she still felt bad that she forgot. I told her that she could borrow my blue sweatshirt because I didn't need it - I was already wearing something blue. She felt better about this offering. Later on in the day I was talking to her and it seemed like all of the personal frustration didn't even existed from this morning.

3. Got extra cups of coffee for an administrator and a special visitor
              Just wanted to make the visitor to feel welcome at our school.

4. Got an extra bottle of water for a parent who helped teach my students
              It amazes me that one of the most valuable resources that we can use in our schools is often the one that is under-utilized the most - the parents. This particular parent heard it from their son that we were doing international dances during class. Yesterday after her son explained this, she called me after school and asked if she could come in and help. Ah - yeah! Not only did she help with doing my dances, she also showed the students traditional dances that she learned from her country of Armenia. It was really beautiful to watch her dance. After my 3rd period class was over, she said that she was really thirsty but accidentally left her bottle of water at home. I knew where there were some extra bottles, so I simply just got her one.

By the way - she is currently a freelance news reporter for a simple paper company. After visiting my classes, she wrote this really wonderful article including some fantastic pictures of my students performing the various dances.

5. Helped another teacher set up the sound system for her special guest
                It must have been one of those days that we had special people visiting our school throughout the entire day. This particular teacher had someone come in to talk to her Social Studies classes about a current topic that they are working on. She needed the sound system and I easily volunteer to set it up for her to use. Yes, it took about 20 minutes out of my lunch time, but I didn't mind because I knew that I was helping another teacher and also the students would benefit greatly from this special assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment