Sunday, July 3, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 102

1. Gave another teacher a bag of almonds
              This staff member is the teacher who is in charge of the In School Suspension (ISS) room - I have mentioned about her before in previous pennies. Anyway, her favorite snack to have in the afternoon is almonds. I am glad that she likes these because they are actually really good for you and much healthier than a candy bar. I personally can not eat a lot of them because they hurt my teeth - but she loves them. I just wanted to do something nice for her.

2. Cleaned up refreshments after a school meeting
           It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. I actually like cleaning up - where my OCD is a blessing.

3. Gave up my planning period to listen to another teacher's concern
            So all I think that this teacher wanted was just someone to listen to them vent. I really didn't ask any questions or try to help them find solutions, just simply listen. Sometimes that is all that people need - someone to listen. And while I was listening, I was completely focused on them - not typing on my computer, not putting away materials, not doing something on my phone, not grading papers - all of these things that I needed to do, I didn't - my main focus was on this particular teacher and being there for them.

4. Wrote a "Thank You" note to another teacher for setting up refreshments for a before school meeting
             Sometimes I believe that a teacher's life is ran by meetings - for me, it was one before and one after. However, I enjoyed the meetings in the fact that I knew I could help others in showing my appreciation and respect.

5. Helped a sick child by gathering his books and instruments
            Ok, I had a child throw up on my today. It really only hit below my knees and some on my left shoe. I am trying to convince myself that it wasn't that bad - although I will never wear these shoes again, and I am debating about the pants. Anyway, I knew that he was embarrassed because it happened at the end of the day in front of other band students who were trying to get their instruments to go home. I just gave him a trash can and sent him to the health office, while paging a custodian to come and help me clean up. Once the custodian had the mess squared away, I quickly took care of myself and then to the student his belongings. I also gave him a bag of animal crackers and a bottle of water - from the stash that I keep in my room. His grandparents were very grateful.
Ok, I am off to take my 5th shower of the day. Did I mention that I had OCD?

No comments:

Post a Comment