Sunday, September 25, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 194

1. Helped the new neighbor de-ice his car
               Across the street, the new neighbor comes from Florida and is struggling during this winter. It is too cold, too snowy, & too icy for him and his family. Such a drastic climate change for him to get use to - he didn't even have an ice car scraper. So as I was finishing getting my car ready for work, I watch him as he struggle with  using a broom to clean his car. I simply went over to help him with my ice scraper on his windshields. He looked at me in disbelief, but I told him that that is what neighbors do - help each other.

2. Gave an inspirational athletic sign to gym teacher
             She is wonderful in putting up all of these great motivating signs throughout the gym, the hallways, & the locker room. And the signs are the regular 'hokie' signs - they actually have good meanings and interesting pictures. So when I saw this particular sign at the teacher store that closed just a few days ago, I immediately thought of her. If anything, she has inspired me to help her inspire the students.

3. Gave my breakfast to someone else
            So one of my students was incredibly hungry this morning because they got up late and didn't have time for breakfast. I didn't want my orange juice and had an extra Special K bars that I normally eat for breakfast. Even before I could get out the offer to share my breakfast, he immediately started to eat & drink. Sometimes it surprises me how much a teenager can consume food. Anyway, I was glad that they ate something - he often complains of headaches because of lack of food. I did advised him to stop by later on in the morning if he needed a snack to carry him to lunch. Checked up on him at lunch, he was eating - again :-)

4. Donated some extra cleaning supplies to needy shelter
            Yes, I know that the most important thing right now is to feed the needy & make sure that they have a warm bed at night. However, having a clean bathroom to refresh themselves and clean clothes is also important thing too - it provides sanitary & better health conditions. But more importantly, it also provides a sense of hope & compassion that someone is treating them with respect. The needy shelter is always looking for cleaning wipes, clothing detergent, soap, toothpaste, and other hygiene items.

5. Gave extra Sunday School stickers to church
              There were these cute little stickers that said "Yeah God!" on them. Very simple, but new that one of the Sunday School teachers would use them with their kids. Later on today I received a picture from my son - yes, I got a "Yeah God." It made me chuckle to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment