Saturday, September 10, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 186

1. Emailed a science articles other teachers
                So I was reading this really cool article on CNN.com about the discovery of a possible new planet. It was so interesting about what they classify about planets and what is something else. Anyway, I new that the one 8th grade science teacher does a whole unit about astrology (she even has mini planetarium in her room). Then there is a 6th grade science teacher that was talking to me about the different constellations because my band students are learning a piece about the stars. I just had to email this article to them & other science teachers in my building. Not for sure if they could use it in their curriculum, but at least it was interesting reading.

2. Wrote a 'Thank You' note to another teacher for listening
               I just needed some time to rant & whine. This particular teacher was there to let me use her room & more importantly to let me use her ear. She is a fantastic teacher and a really good person. It was the least that I could do in writing her a 'thank you' note & included a piece of candy.

3. Wrote a note to cheer up another teacher
               This particular teacher was telling me about how upset that she has been lately because her father is really sick again. I felt so sad for her. She seemed so depressed & tired. The least that I could do was to write her a note, to try to cheer her up, or at least to try to let her know that I was thinking good thoughts for her.

4. Gave a special snack to substitutes who helped with a special student activity
               So today was a very special student ceremony at my school. I was one of the people that helps organize & manages this program. The ceremony itself is a wonderful thing to have, it is just the technical part of putting everything together so that it runs smooth can be a bit exhausting. I requested a substitute for my afternoon classes so that I could prepare the auditorium for event, while not having to worry about my regular classes & students. Another teacher did the same thing so that she had plenty of time to prepare too. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that these substitutes knew how grateful we were that they helped out with our regular classes, while we took care of special student activity. So after the honored students & their families received cake & punch from the event, I made sure that our substitutes were treated just as nice.

5. Wrote a 'Nice Job' note to the chorus teacher
             She had her honors chorus group perform at the beginning of the special student ceremony this afternoon. They did such a wonderful job, I just had to formally say thank you. I was so proud of them. The cool thing about this honor group is that many of them were also being honored within the special student activity. They are a great bunch of kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment