Sunday, September 4, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 179

1. Helped wash the table in the cafeteria
                The nice elderly woman was not at school today and it seemed like the custodians were being a little overworked. So I grabbed a washcloth & some soapy water & started to scrub away. No big deal and happy to help when it comes to cleaning.

2. Wrote a sympathy card for another teacher due to a death in the family
                Sometimes these little mementos just shows other people that you care & that you are thinking about them. This particular staff member recently lost her grandmother. She took the news rather well, but said that she new this was coming because the grandmother was going down hill over the Winter Break. Still, a little card that says that I'm thinking good thoughts for her & her family is still something nice to do for someone else.

3. Wrote a thank you note to a staff member for returning my personal belongings
             So I was in a rush this morning after working out, that I didn't realize that some money, my debit card, & my diver's license fell out of my workout jacket. They were just laying there on the wide open gym floor for any staff member or any student to pick up & carry off. However this administrator found it and placed everything in an envelope and put it in my teacher's mailbox. I would have had such a massive anxiety attack if he wouldn't have been so nice in doing this. The very, very, very least that I could do was to write him a thank you note & included a piece of candy.

4. Held the door open for other teachers
               So after school today I was rushing around to try to get to my monthly meeting for my Board of Education class. However, this doesn't excuse me from holding the door open for other teachers that are a few steps behind me but are still leaving. It's just common courtesy to be nice and do simple/easy things like this for other people - even if you are rushing. Take the time to be nice.

5. Wrote a note of encouragement to another class member
             So in my class after school today, we had to present our portfolios of our school work thus far this school year. It was really interesting because we all had a different take on the assignment and all presented something very unique. There was another teacher in particular that had a recent family crisis and was disappointed with herself that her portfolio wasn't as fully developed or organized as much as she wanted it to be. So I quickly wrote her a post-it note saying three things that I really liked about her work - just to encourage her spirits. It was easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment