Monday, September 19, 2011

5 Pennies - Day 191

1. Bought & donated clothing items to local homeless shelter
             Wow! It has gotten so cold in are area lately. Yes, this homeless shelter runs a wonderful soup kitchen that in the recent past weeks I have donated several bags of groceries, but I have also noticed that the clients are in desperate needs of some warmer clothing too - especially the children. So I went to the local department store and picked up a couple essentials - socks, long sleeve undershirts, undergarments, and such. Warmth of food & clothing is what these people need on this cold winter's day.

2. Sharpened various pencils for children
            So as my son was practicing his writing, I noticed that many of the pencils at the children's table were very dull. So I simple gathered them up and sharpened them. A little thing to do, but it gave the kids more of an opportunity to practice their writing skills.

3. Wrote a welcome card
             So this past week a new musician joined the church's praise band. She was very hesitant about joining because she doesn't know many of the songs that are in our performance book. However, she is a fairly good singer and will eventually pick up this music. Besides, it's nice to have new blood within the praise band.

4. Helped clean up after children's service
              In order to get to the communion area, I had to move the various pillows and carpet that were left after the children's sermon. Easy to do for others.

5. Let people cross the road to attend church
              So diagonally from the church that I attend is another church, but of a different sector. There was this father with two little girls that were trailing under his footsteps and in his shadow. They were all trying to cross the street to get to service on time, but there was a line of traffic. So as I watched, I slowed down in my jeep so that they would have time to safely cross. The girls were so cold in their beautiful dresses. I was glad that they made it into the warm building safely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment