Monday, February 27, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 230 Recovered

1. Wrote a 'Thank You' email to son's teacher
             I haven't really thought of the best in my son's elementary school. Maybe it was the fact that my son went to a fantastic preschool and his teacher constantly sent home good notes. Both my son and I really loved her. Maybe it was that this school always had something interesting and completely valued the support and active involvement of the family. I don't know, but I haven't 'clicked' with my son's new school yet. However, his teacher sent home a flyer that explained the different activities that the students will be doing this week to honor Dr. Seuss. This was the first time that my son happily explained his excitement for each event. I was so thrilled to see my son so happy about sharing his educational news and that he looked forward to each day - I just had to send a simple email to his teacher saying thank you for providing such a wonderful opportunity for my son and his classmates.

2. Wrote a 'Thinking of You' card to another student
            I've been meaning to write to this student for the past week, but wasn't for sure if it would be appropriate. I made time this evening for her. Unfortunately, she is going through the emotional and mental pain and it saddens my heart so much knowing that she is carrying this burden. Thankfully, she is getting the help that she needs to get her through this turmoil. I know that she is strong enough to come with resilience, but still wanted to express my daily thoughts and good wishes for her.

3. Thanked another parent for her son's music gesture
              In a previous penny, I explained that I recently went to a funeral service of one of my student's father that passed away. Tonight I had a meeting with several of my music parents in regards to my program and funding. I just had to speak to this parent directly prior to the start of the meeting and explained in how proud I was that her son played during this funeral service. She too said that she was really impressed by his maturity in handling this musical performance with dignity in regards to the circumstance.

4. Wrote a Good Luck card
               So at the music meeting tonight I over heard another parent saying that they are very concerned about music fees - especially next year because she will have two kids of her own involved. On top of that, both her and her husband have been plagued by unemployment during this disastrous economic time. Next year for the high school music students, they are planning a special week long field trip to Disney World in order to participate in special music festivals/competitions. Although I was seriously debating in considering offering to go as a chaperoned, I have realized tonight that my money would be better spent in funding for a student. In this family is a son that works for me Tuesday and Thursday morning, doing various small jobs that keeps me sane. The least that I could do is to offer the parents money for his assistance every so often - but that this would be kept in a separate account for him to use for this special high school field trip. Say hi to Goofy for me :-)

5. Wrote a 'Sympathy' card to another teacher
              Another music teacher that I know has recently lost a family member. The least that I could do was to extend my sympathy and let him know that I was thinking about him/his family. He really is a great music teacher and I have a lot of respect for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment