Saturday, February 25, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 227 Recovered

1. Wrote a Welcome Back Card
              So there is another teacher at my school that just came back this week from maternity leave. I remember when I started back after having my son - it was a Tuesday and it was an excruciating painful of a  day. I was still on about 3 hours of sleep and the heart ache of not being near my baby, but instead to with many misbehaved teens. No words could comfort me - only that I needed to work to ensure that if I I had money for him for college and that things will get better. 6 years later, I'm happy that I made that decision. Anyway, this teacher is feeling the same pains - so to ease this, I wrote a card welcoming her back to work and that everything will get better.

2. Wrote a Thinking of You Card
               So there is another teacher in my building that has been going through some massive heath issues. This week she has a major surgery that will take her out of the school atmosphere for the next several months. I pray for her constantly at church and know that the surgery is needed to make her healthier, but still feel compassion for what she has to go through. The least that I could do is to write her a Thinking of You card, include a pack of special pink pencils, and a gift card to a local sub shop for  her husband. The very least I could do.

3. Brought in a special treat for others
           Happy Fausnaught Day - or as the normal would say 'Fat Tuesday'! This has always been a tradition in my family to eat a Fausnaught to wish us well for the Lenten Season. They are not donuts - they are made from a different recipe, cooked a different, and most importantly symbolize preparing the 40 day journey. I remember making them when I was younger before getting ready to go to school. I was happy to share many containers of them, but what surprised me is how many people in my school didn't know what they were or the tradition.



4. Gave student some lunch
             Why do teenage students come to school and decide not to eat lunch? It isn't the question of do they have money for lunch, but more of the question of why they choose not to? Grant it, I was one of these teens. Now looking back at it, it was an unhealthy decision. Anyway, I noticed that one of my students wasn't eating. When I asked her she just shrugged her shoulders. I insisted that she ate something from my snack box that I keep in my office before she went to class. I keep extra snacks in case my sugar gets low, but happily share with my students when they need it.

5. Gave cold medicine to another teacher
               He has commented the past couple of days that he hasn't been feeling that great and feels like he is fighting a could. I keep extra cold medicine in my book bag, just in case. I believe I was a boy scout in a former life - always prepared. It was easy to share with him :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment