Sunday, February 26, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 228 Recovered

1. Gave cookies to friends
           So one of my band students was selling various Girl Scout cookies for their annual spring fundraiser. I'm a sucker and just wanted to help this particular student, she's such a sweet kid. Anyway, my favorite type of cookie is the thin mint - you know, the all chocolate type with the hint of mint inside. So I ordered 2 boxes because my mother loves these too. Little did I know that my mother did the same thing with one of her students. So between us we had 4 boxes of these types of cookies. Honestly, bot of us rarely eat any cookies so imagine the humor that we found. Instantly I knew of two staff members/friends at school that would enjoy these more than I. It was easy to give & the plus thing is that it is less crunches that I have to make up for :-)

2. Held the door for another staff member
           Recently there has been a staff member that has been having some health issues with her legs. Towards the end of a meeting, I noticed that she was getting up and going towards her classroom. I am very proud of her because she was using her walker to try to get around and exerting a lot of good energy. Knowing that her steps are slow and concrete, I instantly went to hold the door for her - it was the least that I could do to show my respect.

3. Went to a student's family member funeral
            This penny hurt my heart some. I know, I'm too sensitive and I get way too attached to many of my students. But I have known this family for 6 years and have grown to really respect them all. Anyway, about a year ago one of the family members was diagnosed with cancer. As much as this news rocked them, they continued on and supported each other. Recently the afflicted family member passed on. It was the least that I could do to attend the funeral and show my sympathy to this wonderful family.

4. Made dessert for Church Fellowship meal
                Yes, it was my Cherry Cheese cake tarts that offered to the meal as a dessert. Enjoyed by all!

5. Bought school supplies for Lenten project
          How can you measure the worth of education for impoverished kids? By 30 centimeter rulers, blue and black ink pens, and blunt scissors. A little each week helps :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment