Sunday, February 5, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 221 Recovered

1. Wrote a "Have a Nice Day" to another staff member
           Actually this staff member works at another school and I use to be her children's band teacher when they were in middle school. She is such a wonderful teacher and a great person to know. She is strong in her conviction for the best education for her own kids and the ones that she works with everyday. Anyway, I overheard that her mother is in really ill health and I just wanted to do something nice for her - just to let her know that someone was thinking about her.
           I found out earlier in church today that her mother passed away yesterday and this has broken her at the core. I feel so bad for her because she is dealing with this pain, when I know her best as being so strong. So tomorrow I will send her a sympathy card.

2. Bought extra water for students
            We had a special music field trip today and the students needed to have an extra bottle of water. Knowing this ahead of time, I bought a big case of bottles just to make sure that the kids were taken care of. Good thing too, many of my students forgot or needed an extra. Glad to provide.

3. Gave breakfast to hungry students
            So I had one student who in the midst of getting ready for the special music field trip this morning, completely forgot to eat breakfast! Then I had another student that her sugar level was wavering. Also, I had another student that is always hungry - what do you expect? He's a middle school boy - they eat constantly. So I had some extra protein breakfast bars that I told them to eat. Again, glad to provide.

*I know that the last two pennies seem like a 'mommy' moment. But really, when the students are at school - they become my personal kids for 8 hours. I'm the provider, the counselor, the disciplinarian, the coach, the advocator, etc. Everything that a parent is first and then their music teacher 2nd. I had an administrator once tell me that I shouldn't take things so personally. But really, when I feel like their day time mommy - how could I not take things so personally?

4. Cleaned up the coffee and snack area
           So at this music field trip, there was a spread of coffee and pastries for the teachers. I was thrilled that this was provided for us, but soon kept thinking about when I was going to clean it up. Even at 9:30 in the morning, I kept thinking about when would be a good time. So I decided that at precisely 2:30 I would start cleaning everything up: dump the coffee, pour out the creamer, package up the donuts & muffins, sweep up the crumbs, organize the plates/napkins/cutlery, and wipe down the table. The time came & I did - I was thrilled when everything was neat and organized. The other music teachers just looked in amazement. Again, when OCD is a blessing and a curse.

5. Made students a special treat bag
            All of the students that participated in the special band concert this weekend has really been working hard on their extra music. I'm so proud of them and the concert went off very well with very little problems. They have all learned so much from this experience that I hope that they will share with others, while applying their knowledge in their regular band class and with their regular band music. So since they have been spending extra time in this experience, I figured that I should make each of them a special treat bag - just to show how much I am proud of them for all of their hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment