Saturday, January 28, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 218 Recovered

1. Made scones for various people
         So I had an evening music meeting tonight with other parents that support my program. I decided that to show my appreciation thus far this school year, I would make them some blueberry scones. It is an easy recipe to put together and make. They were very appreciative. Also, my dearest friend has been going through some personal things both health and emotionally. I just wanted to do something nice for them. Their favorite is chocolate chip scones. So a batch of them was easy to make as well. However, I rationed the scones in individual bags so that they could enjoy them for breakfast throughout the entire week - not just gorge on them the first day :-)
           The funny thing is that when I brought them in, others have started to make request for other types - cinnamon & cranberry/orange.
           Good homemade food is like hugging the heart & stomach at the same time. 



2. Made special food for other teacher's curriculum
             So there are 2 ELA teachers at my school that have been teaching a unit about the Holocaust. Since I can make traditional Latkes & Challah bread, I offered to make them for their students. At first I thought that I would only be service like 40-50 kids. I must admit that I was a bit overwhelmed when they told me that I would need to make enough to serve over 100! I never made this much before! I really doubted if I had enough of time and ingredients to serve this many. I really didn't want to disappoint anyone. So I became a baking fool! In the end I made 12 loaves of Challah bread & over 100 Latkes. I went to the local 'megamart' and also bought cups of applesauce & different jellies (along with cutlery & plates). The next day at school I delivered everything and the teachers were really appreciative - they even had some of their students personally say thank you. It was nice to share this opportunity with them.



3. Moved a table for morning duty
              So the attendance woman normally sits at a particular spot so that the students can get the required paperwork taken care of prior to the beginning of the school day starting. I noticed this morning that her usual table was missing. So I looked around for it some and found it in the gym - must have been used for a weekend basketball game. So easily enough I picked it up and moved it into the spot for the attendance secretary - even before she came in - so that everything was ready for her.

4. Helped hung up cards for another teacher
               So in a prior penny posting I talked about how there is a teacher at my school that is fighting a really bad illness and that her teaching partner decided to have all of the students and staff make cards for her. Well, today was the day that everything got posted up on the mural design. Its a welcome back design that stretches from one side of the gym to the other. Its a very simple thing, but completely brilliant and very heart warming. So I just wanted to help in hanging some of the cards up too.

5. Gave extra food to the soup kitchen
              While I was buying the ingredients for the bread & Lakes, I bought some extra Mac 'n' Cheese for the local soup kitchen. Its January and cold - the time that the kitchens need help the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment