Sunday, March 25, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 239 Recovered

1. Bought craft supplies for another teacher 
              There is this crafty ELA teacher in my building that had this brilliant idea of making these special pens to use in the main office for when parents/visitors come in to sign in. Actually it all started when this particular teacher over heard one of the secretaries comment on how the front book pens are always taken by accident. So this teacher had an idea that if she made special pens, then people would know that it belongs with the school. Anyway, she did some research and found a really cool craft to make with pens in a special design. She showed me the end results - I must say that they are so cool looking. A day later she sent a school email out asking for pens - instantly I knew that I needed to buy her pens to help her finish her work. So last evening I bought her two different types. This morning I felt compelled to also write her a note saying that her idea is "Out of this World" - it was accompanied by a space shuttle eraser.

2. Bought chocolate treats for the Guidance Office
               So this week wraps up our state assessment - yeah! I know that the guidance office has been working really over time to make sure that everything ran smoothly and is still continuing to make sure that all of the makes were done with the students who were absent. I can't imagine how much work it takes to make sure that all 800 students take all four days of state assessments. They deserve a lot of credit for the time and energy that they put into this. I just needed to tell them how much I appreciated their hard work - what better way they individual small boxes of chocolates!

3. Helped another student who was having a bad day
                 So as I was walking back to my teaching area, I noticed that one of my students was storming out of her classroom. Clearly she was upset and this wasn't like her at all. Not to pry into her business, I went over and asked if she just wanted a 5 minute break in my music office to calm down. With big alligator tears on her cheeks she shook her head yes and went to my office. I told her teacher that she was with me for a little while to calm down and pull herself back together. In my office I offered her some M&M's (her favorite) as I prepared for my next class. Soon it was time for me to teach and I asked her that if she stayed, just let me know when she was going back to class. Within minutes of me teaching she poked her head in my classroom & waved goodbye with a thumbs up. She really is a good kid. Sometimes we all just need an area to fall apart and then to put ourselves back together. I'm glad that I was able to provide this to her. I really don't know what happened, but at least she left my area being whole again.

4. Covered another class for a teacher 
              This particular teacher wanted to go on a field trip with her students, but she teaches two different grade levels. So I offered to cover her one class so that she could join in the fun with the other grade level. In the meantime I learned about friction & gravity - cool ehh?

5. Wrote a 'Good Job' note to another teacher 
               The technology teacher at my school put together this cool video for our school's website to welcome visitors. It has all of these pictures of the different teachers/students/areas of our school. She also had her students design many of the layouts as a class project. The final product is really interesting to watch. In addition, she is currently having her students make brief videos to show when new students enter our school. How could I resist in writing a 'good job' note to this teacher & her creative ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment