Sunday, March 11, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 236 Recovered

1. Gave flowers to another staff member
            There is a staff member that works very hard with the Special Education students within my school, but she has been really sick lately. I'm not for sure if I totally understand her illness, but many mornings she has told me that she battles 'it' just to get to work to collapse in her office for another 20 minutes until the medicine can fully kick in. Well, this past week she has been absent many days and I am very worried about her. Just yesterday she felt ok enough to come back to school only to make sure that the various special education students are taken care of with the approaching state assessments. I had some extra flowers in my room that really I could think of no one else that needed them more.

2. Wrote to my Angle Assignment
             Recently I have become an angel writer to another woman that is battling Breast Cancer in the same relative area that I live. Due to the patient health information, I am not allowed to talk about her with anyone - but I will say that it is something nice that I will be looking forward to doing every week for the next year. What a great opportunity to help someone out and let them know that you are thinking about them :-)

3. Wrote a 'Thank You' card to the Pastor of the church
              So the Pastor of the church that I go to mentioned this book, "365 Thank Yous" a few weeks ago in one of his Wednesday night service sermons. Basically it is about how there was a guy who wrote someone a 'Thank You' card everyday for an entire year and learned so much about appreciation and gratitude in his life. Instantly, I was convinced that I needed to read this book. It truly is an amazing story and I highly recommend it for everyone to read. I thought that there was no better way to share my appreciation with the Pastor than to write him a 'Thank You' card myself.

4. Returned an abandoned toy to child
             So my son and I went to see 'The Lorax' at the movie theater yesterday. I actually told him that if he read the book along with 10 other Dr. Seuss books I would treat him to the movies. I really want my son to know that reading and studying is important, but also reward him when he works hard. Anyway, we saw the movie and it was pretty much true to the book. Afterwards, I gave my son a dollar to play in the mini arcade area. While he was doing one of those driving machines I noticed that another little boy accidentally left his stuffed bear at a video game. Quickly I grabbed it and turned to meet his sister looking at me. I bent down to ask her if she would return this toy to her brother - instantly she smiled - beautiful and breathtaking little blonde 6 year old.

5. Attended students' basketball game
            So I teach band and of course I enjoy working with my students. They may make me crazy, but overall I am very thankful that the majority of them really want to work hard for me. This past Thursday the staff members of our school received an email stating that our boy's basketball team made it to the final championship game. Instantly, I knew what I was going to do this weekend with my son. It was a great game and both boys teams played incredibly well/hard. Unfortunately, my school's team lost just by 1 point. I know that many of my students will be disappointed tomorrow - but honestly, they played a really great game. I was really glad that I attended :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment