Tuesday, March 20, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 238 Recovered

1. Helped put away swimming devices
               So my son is just about to pass his level of swimming classes - testing out of Eels and entering into Rays. He has really gotten much better since we switched coaches and facilities. He does have a long way to go before being completely comfortable and safe in water, but lately he has been swimming without any flotation devices. In fact this recent swim lesson the coach took off the 'floaties' from all of the students. Towards the end of class, I simply went over to gather them up and put them away. Easy to do so that the kids wouldn't be tripping over them while getting out of the pool.

2. Gave students a smiley pencil
              I love being a teacher. And on most days I like being a teacher. Then there are those few days that I scratch my head and ask myself the frustrating question of "Why did I become a teacher?" These days are often few and in between, but today one hit me as 4 waves of upset parents lapped on me. I know that I shouldn't take things personal, but the words of these parents were as vicious as an emotion tsunami. So by the afternoon crept in and after school approached, I was beyond exhausted in my teaching. Then two brave band students stayed after school for extra help on a music piece. They recently performed at the regional small ensemble festival and earned a high enough score to be invited to participate at the State level. As tired as I was, I just couldn't say no to helping these students. I am glad that I didn't. "Why did I become a teacher?" These two students showed me why. They so badly want to improve on their skills and instruments - not to please me, but to please themselves. Just working with them made me feel a lot better. I had to give them a 'thank you' gesture - a smiley pencil because they brought happiness to my afternoon.

3. Volunteer at a College Event
               There is a staff member in my school that is in charge of disciplined contained students. However, more importantly she is also in charge of promoting a college/career based atmosphere. She is apart of this county committee that has been working together to host an event night so that parents/families can learn more about college and financial need. She's an amazing person and just hearing her talk about this event, I wanted to help her somehow. So I asked if she needed any volunteers at the welcome table. Gladly she accepted the offer and tonight I was able to help welcome over 600 people to this event. It was a fantastic turn out! I wish that there was something like this when I was about to go to school. I'm sure my mom would have been grateful for the extra information.

4. Encouraged a disabled walker
                 This weekend I participated in a St. Patrick's Day Run/Walk. It was a 5k for those who ran it - and yes, I was crazy enough to be one of those people. Anyway, on my second lap of run and just about completely out of breathe I saw a young boy moving along with his walker. Here I was internally complaining about running the 5k and wanting to give up at any second, while a few paces ahead of me this young guy had the bravery to keep going despite his unsteady walking skills. I instantly ran up along side of him and cheered him on, "Keep up the good work - you're almost done." At least this was my intention - what actually came out was something similar between gasp of much needed air. He was so wonderful to watch.

*For those that want to know - I finished the race at 32:03. This is my personal best and I have shaved off over 12 min. since my first race :-)

5. Helped an older woman with her grocery basket
                 I was in the U-Scan line at the grocery store waiting my turned. I noticed that ahead of me was an older woman shuffling her basket along as we both inched our way to the cash register. It was a very interesting sight to see because this woman was dressed from hat to heel in a red polished dress suit kicking this green plastic basket around. I wondered why she would do something like this. Anyway, I simply went over and picked up the basket and put it at the self scan registered so that it would be easier for her to scan the groceries without bending over. She then turned to me and thanked me for my gesture. I told her no problem and she proceeded to tell me that her sugar is low and she just needed to purchase some food to eat in her car so that she could drive home. It was so low that she just didn't have the strength to hold the basket and wait in line. In a way I felt bad for her circumstance, but in another way I was glad that I could help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment