Sunday, April 29, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 247 Recovered



1. Gave money to a student for a community service project
             So one of my band students is doing the 'Bowl For Kids Sake' project this weekend. I remember being her age and doing the same thing on a Saturday morning in March. Its a pretty cool activity in which all of the money collected will be given to local early childhood education systems and supportive programs. I'm a horrible bowler, but I knew that when I participated in this activity I was helping others more than just trying to earn a high score. Now that I'm funding one of my students, it still feels pretty cool.

2. Wrote various staff members 'Thank You' notes
              So much has been going on at my school! Between various college visitation field trips and special career visitors, a lot of good work has been done by my fellow staff members. Although it was simple, a 'Thank You' note went to those that worked on these various events.

3. Made Posters for the Talent Show
              Every spring we have this really great Talent Show that features a whole variety of acts from our student body - singers, dancers, gymnastics, instrumentalists, karate, baton twirlers, and this year a really cool jump roper! Anyway, all of the collected proceeds this year will go to a local organization that supports Breast Cancer Awareness. The students themselves shows this organization this year to feature and sponsor in various activities/events. I'm so glad that they did because I am tied to this through family & friends that have fought and survived. Anyway, we ran out of time to have professional posters made and needed something to start the advertising of the show. So last night I took 6 sheets of poster paper and drew like there was no tomorrow. Sharpie markers - strong stuff. I was happy to make these posters because I knew that it was supporting a good thing.

4. Bought snacks for a morning meeting
             All is well in talking about reading achievement and test scores when your belly is full of morning breakfast treats.

5. Wrote 'Thank You' note to two staff members that covered my class
              I had to step out of my regular band class twice this week in order to help with various activities in other areas of my school - welcome visitors and a morning band field trip. Did I mention that we had a lot of busy things going on at my school - Phew!!! Anyway, two other teachers were kind enough to give up their planning period to cover my classes while I was working somewhere else. I know that they could have used the time elsewhere doing their own things, so I made sure that a note was given to them expressing my appreciation along with some candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment