Sunday, April 8, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 244 Recovered




1. Made Easter treats for students
             My band students have been working so hard lately. Yes they may drive me crazy, but overall they are a good bunch of kids. Anyway, we recently went to an important regional Large Band festival. My students were excited about being there and performing, but I was concerned about the comments from the judges. The kids did so well in their performance! The judges gave the kids an accurate read of both positive comments and things to work on to improve. Overall, the band received the highest score and an invite to the State Festival! Its the first time the band has achieved this and you can tell that by talking to any of the band students - they are just so excited! Anyway I wanted to do something nice for them to show my appreciation, so I made up over 250 plastic Easter eggs filled with candy. The running jokes of the day were, "You guys 'crack' me up!"; "I think that you guys are 'egg'-straudinary!"; and "You did such an 'egg-cellent' job!" My students know that I love puns and have a silly humor sometimes. Really, the kids were amazing! And really - I'm so proud of them!

2. Wrote a 'Sympathy' card to another teacher
              This particular teacher is a fantastically hard science teacher. She is fair and firm, but really wants the best from her students and will not except anything less. I keep telling my students that yes she is hard, but she will make you so prepared for high school science! Anyway, recently her grandmother passed away and I just wanted to write a sympathy card saying that I was thinking good thoughts about her and her family.

3. Bought a special breakfast for team teachers
                At our last team meeting, we sort of had a celebratory meeting in that the entire music department did so well at the regional festivals. In addition, the team leader of our group was nominated and recently became a finalist for the county's teacher of the year. Lots of things to celebrate with out professional success. So I bought a whole bunch of different variety of foods for everyone else to enjoy. Knowing that I made other people happy and full was a nice moment.

4. Donated money from personal fundraiser
               So at the winter and spring holidays my family makes special candies, cookies, and such. This is a traditional and the recipes were passed down through my mother side of the family. While my mother makes homemade potato soap, my specialty is a particular candy called "Buckeyes," which essentially is a peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate. Anyway, I made a whole bunch and donated all of the proceeds to the Japan Red Cross Relief fund because it was right after they had their massive earthquake. This year I donated all of the proceeds to a local breast cancer awareness organization. I wish that I would have sold more though.

5. Pulled a prank on secretary
               Ok, so this may not seem so much as a penny, but please let me explain. Every so often this secretary and I pull pranks on each other, just for fun. She really is a sweet lady that has such a humorous side to her. Last year she sent me an 'Evil Leprechaun' in the mail to my house. It was a great surprise to receive :-) Anyway, I wanted to do something for her for Easter. So I bought a kitty pan and filled full of honey puff cereal to make it look like kitty litter. Then I bought a mixture of chocolate covered anything and through them haphazardly throughout the pan. It was a riot to look at. I topped it off with a kitty litter shovel. She laughed about it all day long :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment