Monday, April 2, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 242 Recovered




1. Gave Secretaries and Nurses Flowers
             We have a really great front office staff that in some ways I believe they hide their superhero caps from me. Maybe they can't leap tall buildings in a single bound, but they work extremely hard every day to make our school a better place. Regardless if it is handling the phone calls of nasty parents, taking care of a kid that is throwing up, or the mounds of paperwork that is needed to be completed for daily business; these staff members are amazing and do their jobs so well. I just wanted to treat them with something special to let them know how much I appreciate having them at school. It is the beginning of Spring and the best part is when flowers are just first starting to bloom. Oh how I miss this during the Winter time. So each received a small bundle of flowers.

2. Bought a snack for a student
             So my Jazz Band students played at a special charity basket ball game the other night - which by the way was for Breast Cancer Awareness. In addition, my kids were really good about setting up, performing, and tearing down. The one didn't have a chance to get some money from his mom to buy some snacks. He has always been such a great student in my class and during this ensemble. So I reached into my pocket and gave him a few dollars. You would have thought that I handed him a winning lottery ticket! The sweetest thing is that when I gave him the money and after saying thank you, he asked if I wanted anything. He's such a good kid. The next thing I know is that he had a cupcake and icing all over his face. Although he is 13, it immediately reminded me of my 5 year old son :-)

3. Wrote another staff member a "Great Job" note
              It needed to be said. The main organizer of the charity basketball game needed the laud and admiration for all of his hard work. It was such a great event!

4. Attended a special student concert
              There is this special Saturday mornings music program that several of my band students have been attending for the past month or so. This past weekend was their showcase performance. Although I was tired from the extra performance that I have been giving myself, I knew that it was important to my students since they begged me to attend. It was a really nice event and my students were really happy to see me. I was also able to talk to several of their parents to learn more about this weekly activity. I am hoping to 'enlist' several other students for this activity next year.

5. Wrote 'Thank You' notes to other staff members
              Recently my band students went to a regional festival in where they performed three pieces and were critically assessed. We have been working on these three pieces for the past 1 1/2 months and the students were really eager to share their final product. Prior to this particular performance, I had my supervisor and another music teacher come in to evaluate and work with my students. Their comments really helped the students put the final touches on their songs before this important event. So much that the students performed at the highest level and were invited to perform at the State Festival. I just had to share my appreciation to these staff members for taking time out of their busy schedules to work with my students. I am so grateful for their expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment