Friday, June 29, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 252 Recovered

1. Wrote a 'Welcome Back Card' to another teacher
              Yeah, this particular teacher has been having some issues with her legs and back, thus resulting in some surgeries and at home care. However, today she came back and was in really good spirits. It was so nice to have her back in the building and the kids were excited too. The least that I could do was to write her a 'Welcome Back' card to expressing my sincerity.

2. Bought candy for other music teachers
               I'm so proud of my school's music department. All performing music ensembles did so well at the regional festivals that each were invited to perform at the state festival! This has never been accomplished in my school's history and no other school in my county has all three programs attending. So to do something nice to show my appreciation and support to my fellow music teachers, I bought them each a medium box of chocolates and attached a 'Good Luck' note.

3. Gave an extra box to another teacher
             I know what you are thinking, oh this is lame (which is my son's favorite catch phrase now!) But really it isn't. Here's the story.
             A few weeks ago I happily received a pair of shoes from a friend. These shoes seemed like any other shoe to the regular person, but really they are special because the are TOMS. This company is so brilliant in its philosophy because for every pair of shoes that they sell, they make and give a pair of shoes to anywhere in the world. There are several villages in Africa and Argentina that won't allow the children go to school because they don't have shoes! Essentially, this company is providing the opportunity of education for kids! WOW!!!
              To read more- http://www.toms.com/
              Anyway, I didn't know what to do with the shoe box that the pair came in. It seemed to special and important to just throw away or even to recycle. So I put the box on the shelf in the corner of my office until I could find another use. This morning another teacher came to me asking if I had a medium size box so that she could mail something to another student. Immediately, I thought of this TOMS box and gave it to her. She proceeded to tell me that she found an old phone in the lost and found but the battery didn't work so she didn't know who it belonged to. She took it home and gave it to her teenage son who proceeded to dissect the item, replace the battery, and put it back together. Soon it was working and she found out that the phone belonged to a previous student from last year who actually moved away this school year to another state. She was looking for a particular size box to mail the phone and a note back to this student and family.
                I just knew that this box was meant for something special and to keep on giving.



*If you want to read an really interesting book, "Start Something that Matters," by Blake Mycoskie.

4. Gave flowers to another teacher
                  I was in desperate need to borrow another teacher's classroom because the auditorium was being used for a special presentation. To show my appreciation for letting me use their space, I gave some flowers to this teacher. Easy to do :-)

5. Gave water to student
                 We were outside performing in a parade this weekend and boy was it hot! I was in my staff shirt and jeans marched along with my 150 students throughout the local community. Although the kids performed very well, there was a part of me that felt incredibly guilty because all I did was just walked alongside of them while they played their instruments and marched. So when another parent handed me an ice cold bottle of water towards the end of the parade, I couldn't just drink it alongside of the kids. As soon as the kids were done, I gave it to a percussionist who seemed to need it the most. The best thing was that there was another parent a few steps away that filled their trunk with ice and water, enough for the entire marching band and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment