Wednesday, June 20, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 249 Recovered

1. Gave extra $ for gifts
            In a few days it will be 'Administrative Assistant Day' - which basically means Secretary's Day in the PC way. I have three very lovely and hard working secretaries in my school. Each make my job so much easier beyond the day to day work. They are my front line in handling parents- the very few nice, but more forgetful and upset. And they do this for all of the staff members. They are beyond phone call messages, copying paperwork, organizing attendance lists, rearranging schedules, etc. They really are great people that deserve more than just a single day to say thank you. Anyway, another teacher on my team didn't have that much money to give towards the thank you presents. So I paid for myself and then gave some extra money to cover for the amount that she still owed. It was easy to do.

2. Bought Secretaries extra presents
              So I left school yesterday feeling just ok about my extra contribution. Like I know that I helped another teacher out with the cost, but I still didn't feel that I have expressed my gratitude enough to these staff members. So I stopped off at a grocery store on the way home and bought three cards and three simple gift cards. I wrote a message to each secretary explaining my appreciation for each of their hard work and folded the gift card inside. This morning I placed the notes in each of their mailboxes. By far this simple gesture does not capture my gratitude either, but I feel a bit better with the personal notes of thanks.

3. Participation in Community Service Walk
             Yeah, the March of Dimes Walk is here! My son and I love to participate in this walk because it is at a park location. We walk and then I let him play a little, then we walk some more and then I let him play a little, and so on. We have really no one that we are walking/sponsoring for, but instead just give to the general fund accounts. It's always a nice activity.

4. Wrote a 'Get Well' card
               One of my band student's mother is undergoing another round of Breast Cancer treatments. She explained to me that the medicine is a crippling two-day procedure, but it has been doing the job that it needs to do in order to continue her health.  She is a marvelous lady that constantly supports her daughter's musical interests - the least that I could do is to send a card to support her.

5. Wrote a 'Congrats' card
               One of the male teacher wife's had a baby this past weekend. Although he has two older children already, he has been waiting in anticipation for this new arrival for quite some time. Earlier this school year we had conflicting ideas about an issue, but putting that aside, I just wanted to say congratulations and wish him/his family well.

No comments:

Post a Comment