Thursday, June 28, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 251 Recovered

1. Bought homeless woman lunch
           My son and I were riding home from shopping for a few items at the mall. On the corner diagonal from the outgoing intersection of the mall, there she stood in the warm sun. From the tired look on her face made it seem that either she was standing there for awhile, drained from undernourishment, or exhausted from the every day struggles of her life. My son pointed her out first, which made me smile because we both had the same idea even before expressing it. I pulled into the local McDonalds and bought some items for her. We walked back, hand in hand, ready to share a penny together. She said thank you and in a brief understandable nod we departed. Mostly in life I am an 'anti-McD's' - however, today Ronald and I are friends.





2. Went to students' baseball game
                Its Spring time and many of my male band students are involved in the various outside activities. I have a set of triplet boy students in my 8th grade band class, each playing a different instrument, but all are so great in their own way. Two of the brothers play on the same baseball team and both eagerly asked me to come and watch their game. I brought my son along too so that he can see this type of sport, although he was more interested in eating french fries and a hot dog. Its ok though because he is doing well in his swimming classes.

3. Bought more shelter items
                We are in between service projects at church since lent is well over and Vacation Bible School is only on the horizon. However, the one on going project is buying various items for the different local shelters. A few days ago it was hygiene things for the women's shelter, today it is shampoo and deodorant for the male shelter. I've spent the past two Thanksgivings in working in homeless shelters and have been opened to this type of need. What we take as granted for dollar/travel items - these can be used by those that are constantly traveling due to no home.

4. Attended a student art show
                 Not only are outside sports activities are in bloom, but several performance based and fine arts programs are giving special showcases. A total of 35 students participated in contributing work towards this spring art show that was held at the city's park gallery. I have nearly all of the participating students within my band program, so it was great to see another side of them. In addition, several previous students that I had in the past school years but are not high school students contributed. It was really great to see how they have matured in their crafts. Finally, it was a great way to show support towards my fellow two art teachers that do a wonderful job with their programs within my school. My son loved the showcase too.

5. Wrote a "Thinking of You" card to another teacher
            This teacher has had a rough past year or so. Tragically her mother passed away on a trip and then she becomes pregnant but with complications. Now that the baby was born, it has been months of  different diagnosis and doctors. I'm constantly praying that things will settle down for her so that she can breathe and enjoy. I just wanted to write a simple note of encouragement and add a small giftcard so she can pick up a quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment