Tuesday, June 26, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 250 Recovered

1. Bought hygiene items for local shelter
           There's a local shelter that is entirely devoted to helping women and their children move out of an abusive relationship. People that run these types of programs really amaze me. They must have patience and courage stronger than any type of metal, as well as, caring and compassionate hearts warmer than any fire. As my son puts it, "Seriously!" Anyway, the organizers are always asking for some hygiene products for the clients that are in need. Shavers, cream, soaps, shampoo, etc. Simple items that can be bought anywhere and donated with ease.

2. Bought a pair of scissors for another teacher
           I had to talk to the Physical Education teachers about a scheduling problem the other day and needed their advice. In the process of doing this, they were cutting out these new passes that they created to give to the students to earn extra gym time during their lunch. The boy students really get involved with this type of initiative. I overheard the one gym teacher say that she wish that she had better scissors that would make cleaner cuts. So that afternoon, I bought a pair of scissors - pink, so she knew that it was hers.



3. Gave an Earth Day friendly bag to another teacher
              So I went to Target after church yesterday to pick up some items that I can only find there. Anyway in order to celebrate 'Earth Day', the greeter at the front of the store was handing out these simple little Earth Day friendly tote bags. By mistake she gave two of them to me because they were stuck together, which I didn't realize until I was at the cashier and started to put my bought items into it. On the way out, I approached her to hand back the 'extra' tote. She chuckled to herself, told me to give it to someone else, and wished me a Happy Earth Day. Instantly, I thought of the one science teacher that loves her eco-friendly after school club. This morning at work, I placed the tote bag in her school mail box with a note that said, "Happy Belated Earth Day!"

4. Made treats for after school meeting
                 Its our usual monthly meeting that discusses topics of discipline concerns and programming to promote a more positive school environment. This is a great committee to be involved with because through the data you can really see how something is working and how you are making a difference. Anyway as much as after school meetings sound fun, I decided to reward our committee's efforts by making some homemade scones of several flavors: Chocolate Chip, Cranberry, Blueberry, Butterscotch, and Cinnamon. Its a really simple recipe that I have had great success several times. I just wanted to do something positive for others that are doing something positive for the students.

Try it and enjoy!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scones/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=scones&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

5. Made treats for the Talent Show
                Buckeyes was next on my baking list. Again, another simple item to make that very few people don't. However, I can not give you the recipe for this because I use a traditional family set of directions and ingredients. The positive to this is that my snacks for the Talent Show helped earn some extra money for the Breast Cancer Awareness cause.

I would like to figure out a way to change the filling so that I can dye them pink though???

No comments:

Post a Comment