Sunday, August 26, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 260 Recovered

1. Gave flowers to Guidance Staff
             So the beginning of school is always stressful for teachers, at least for me it is. However, I know a group of staff members that are often over looked as school personnel. The staff in our Guidance/Counselor area are really great! They spend a lot of time prior to the school opening for teachers in enrolling new students, fixing/adjusting schedules, and making sure that every student is placed in classes to meet their needs. It is a lot of extra effort on their behalf to make sure that everything is running smoothly. Just to show my appreciation, I bought extra flowers to share with each of the staff members.

2. Gave extra money for a staff retirement
               As we start the first teacher back to school day, it was announced that a math teacher decided to retire over the summer. I didn't have many conversations with her, but know that she was a valuable resource in my school to the students, their families, and our staff. Although I will miss not seeing her in the halls, I am happy that she has the time now to enjoy her various hobbies. Instead of going to a special dinner, I gave extra money to the organizer.

3. Gave the art teacher extra pencil sharpeners
                There was a sale of these items at the local school supply store. I wanted to buy a few for my classes, but also bought extra to give to her. Since she is an art teacher, I figured that they would be put to good use.

4. Helped a special needs woman with groceries
                  I was shopping for cream cheese when I met her. I didn't exactly introduce myself, but noticed that she was having problems in understanding the different flavors and reaching the items. I just started to get them for her, read the labels, and describe the various flavors. Soon she decided and with a smile she was on her way - and so was I.

5. Wrote a 'Good Luck' card to previous student
                  I remember this particular student from several years ago. He played French Horn for me and I can vividly see his face - behind the twisted brass tubing sat a cute little kid with glasses and a big dimple of a smile. He always ended his sentences with raising his pitch - which always made me think if he was asking a question. I was his mentor at church as well and he would often refer to me in class by my first name. Anyway, I couldn't believe that this little kid grew up so quickly and graduated from High School this past June - and now he is going to college - wwwwooooaaaahhhh!!! I sent him a 'Good Luck' card with a gift card to a local sandwich shop - wishing him the best and to keep in touch if he needs anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment