Thursday, August 9, 2012

5 Pennies - Day 256 Recovered

1. Took pictures for another family
            I took my son to a medium size amusement park today. He had such a blast and I am so glad that I was able to give him this opportunity for fun. On our way into the park, I noticed that another family were lining their 5 kids together, trying to take a picture of them. I remember that there are very few pictures of my mom and my brothers/me all together at a special event. Normally, my mom would be the designated camera lady for the activity. So I decided to take a picture of this family all together & including both of the parents - which they were very grateful for the offer.

2. Gave change to a person for a paper
             As I was walking my dog the other morning, I noticed that there was a woman squatted down rummaging through the grass. Unique as this sight may be, I decided to ask her if she needed help with something. She looked up and told me that she dropped the last quarter that she needed to buy a newspaper. Instantly I knew that I had some spare change in my small bag that I carry about when I walk my dog. It was easy to give, but she seemed so relieved.

3. Made baked goods for Dentist Fundraiser
              I really like my Dentist and his company. Not only are they extremely nice/friendly and have wonderful care there, but they are very active in doing community activities. Tomorrow morning's activity is the annual car wash & bake sale where all of the proceeds will go to the local Breast Cancer Awareness organization. I am very connected to this organization through many different people and believe that they do amazing work during this type of hardship. So to help my Dentist's cause, I decided to make several bake goods for them to sell: Chocolate/Vanilla Cake Pops, Chocolate/Vanilla 'pink' cupcakes, and Cranberry Scones.



4. Wrote 'Thank You' Postcards for my Mission Trip supporters
                Two people in particular helped me finance my Mission Trip this summer and I am very grateful. To show my thanks while I was down in Tennessee, I bought various types of post cards from the different areas that I was stationed in. The organist at the church that I go to received one that had a picture of the Great Smoky Mountains - she helped me purchase craft materials for the Boys & Girls club. The bank representative received one that had a picture of a Tennessee flag - she helped me refinance my Mission Trip money. Special thanks to both for all of their help!

*A few days later, I received a card in the mail from my bank representative in thanking me for the 'Thank You' card. She was so appreciative that I thought of her during this experience. Cool!

5. Wrote a 'Get Well' card to another teacher
           This particular teacher is relatively new to our staff, but he works so hard with the at risk students and the transition program. Earlier this week, I found out that he had a major surgery on his eye. He was able to move around, but yet he had to still go slow with several things until he fully gain all of his vision back. I felt compelled to at least write him a 'Get Well' card in reference to his operation, but I also included a gift card to a restaurant - something to treat him and his family or to use when time & strength is limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment